So, you just found out that you’re pregnant.
Whether this is your first, second, third, or sixth pregnancy, taking care of yourself, and your baby has now made it to the top of your list.
That means a new diet, exercise, and possibly, lifestyle.
Here are some tips that we learned from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), that will help you make healthy habits during your pregnancy.
Healthy Pregnancy Checklist
- If you smoke, take recreational drugs, or drink regularly, talk to one of our nurses and they will help you with counseling, treatment, or other support services that will help you stop.
- According to the CDC “Smoking, drinking alcohol, and using street drugs can cause many problems during pregnancy for a woman and her baby, such as premature birth, birth defects, and infant death.” Continue to choose a healthy life for yourself and your baby and get help today.
- Take 400 Micrograms of Folic Acid, Daily
- This type of B vitamin can help prevent major birth defects before and after pregnancy.  Take your prenatal vitamins right away, and continuously during your pregnancy to maintain your health.
- Know Your Family History
- Understanding your family history can help you, and your doctor prepares for not only your future health but also the health of your baby. So next time you call your mom, ask her if there is anything you may need to know before giving birth.
- Get Tested
- If you are currently sexually active, you should be tested for any possible STD’s or Sexually Transmitted Diseases. According to the CDC, “pregnancy does not provide a woman or the baby she is carrying any protection against STDs. The consequences of an STD can be significantly more serious, even life-threatening, for a woman and her unborn baby if the woman becomes infected with an STD while pregnant. Also, some STDs can cause infertility (not being able to get pregnant) in a woman.” PRC Naples offers free STD testing, so schedule your appointment today.
For more information, check out the CDC’s website.
If you or your partner think they might be pregnant or at risk for an unplanned pregnancy, contact us. PRC is here to offer free, confidential pregnancy testing for women and STD Testing and Treatment, in a safe and pressure-free environment. Give us a call today.
*The content of prcnaples.org is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or licensed medical professional with any questions you may have regarding any prenatal vitamins, and drug and alcohol rehab. The author of this piece intent is to share research found, not to provide medical advice.
 Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Planning for Pregnancy. 2018. A source from https://www.cdc.gov/preconception/planning.html
 Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Before Pregnancy: Information for Men. 2018. A source from https://www.cdc.gov/preconception/men.html